Thursday, May 10, 2007

The De-frozen Tundra

Well, we're getting right down to it, aren't we? Hard to believe we've only got, what, a couple weeks left of the school year? And then a little packing, a little moving, and we're on our way back to the Minnesconsin (or is it Wisconsota?) region. Not too much of excitement to report from the last week or so, but I do have a couple pictures...so how's about we do it that way?


The snow is gone and the tundra is (mostly) thawed, so it seemed like last weekend was a good time to go for a walk...with guns. Peter was headed out hunting just south of the village and asked me if I wanted to tag along, which of course I did :-) This is a picture of lovely "southside" Nunapitchuk taken from I-don't-know-how-far-away on the tundra.


Here's Peter with a shotgun and his handy walking stick (seriously...it came in quite handy), looking out over the tundra for sights/sounds of avian life.


Me, I was just happy to get out and have the opportunity to sight in my 17hmr...haven't had it out since getting it up here, and the scope had been knocked way off. Boo. (I'm not particularly fond of this picture...I think it's the low angle. But it's me with a gun, so odds are yeah, I'm going to post it.)


Also of note...the river ice went out over the weekend! So I guess that marks the end of ice fishing, huh? Oh well, I guess it's about time to get out on the boat anyway.

No comments: